The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)
You can get one grant per property. Grants are available for:
- £7,500 towards an air source heat pump
- £7,500 towards a ground source heat pump (including water source heat pumps and those on shared ground loops)
You cannot get a grant for a hybrid heat pump system (for example a combination of gas boiler and air source heat pump).
The system you install must meet certain standards, such as minimum efficiency levels (your installer can advise you on these).
The system’s maximum capacity must be less than 45kWth – anything over is not eligible.
Check if you’re eligible
You’re eligible for a grant if all the following are true. You must:
- own the property you’re applying for (including if it’s a business, a second home, or a property you rent out to tenants)
- have installed (or plan to install) your new heating system on or after 1 April 2022
- be replacing fossil fuel heating systems (such as oil, gas or electric)
You’re still eligible if you’ve already had funding to make your property more energy efficient, for example by insulating it.
If you own a self build property
Your self build property is eligible if:
- you or the original owner built it yourself or you paid a builder to build it
- it’s never been owned by a business or organisation
You’ll need to show your installer proof that your property is a self build, for example, a copy of the title deeds.